Gods & Monsters -> Patronus Messages
Gods and
Monsters

September 1950. Warm, but cooling off. Full moon: 26th.

Welcome to Gods and Monsters! We are an au-Riddle Era roleplay with no word count and a short, freeform application.
01.17 Read the announcement about the upcoming event!

01.16 check out the September Transitioning announcement for a break down of what is coming soon to the site! Also don't forget to post in the most recent activity check!

01.15 The Ministry of Magic has released an official list of registered werewolves via The Daily Prophet. All names on the list are now public knowledge to the wizarding community.

01.14 BEATRIX NOTT AND TOM RIDDLE THE NEXT HOT ITEM??

01.13 check out the most recent announcement regarding month changes and so on!

01.12 The Ministry of Magic has released an official statement regarding the incident at St. Mungo's.

male 18 female 20
pureblood 20 halfblood 8
muggleborn 5 squib 0
muggles 5 total: 38
JULY SPOTLIGHT

Tina
Scamander

PLOT
GUIDES
APPLICATION
DIRECTORY
CANON LIST
CHARACTER REQUESTS
ADVERTISING
SITE CREDITS

Add Reply
New Poll

Patronus Messages
megs
 Posted: Dec 4 2017, 09:02 PM
megs
100+
female
Admin
SHIPPER
REQUEST
TRACKER
DEVELOPMENT
Confused
crazy cat lady
Megs
she/her - pacific - Online

Who first started the carrying of messages via patronus? When did the Department of Magical Law Enforcement adapt this?
PMEmail
^
natalie e. moore
 Posted: Dec 5 2017, 05:57 PM
natalie e. moore
female
halfblood
SHIPPER
REQUEST
TRACKER
DEVELOPMENT
Heterosexual
single
orli
she/her - central - Offline

Patronus Messages

So according to the HP wiki Dumbledore is the one who devised the way to use the Patronus Charm to relay messages, and that it's believed to have been something only Order members knew how to do.

Since we're already an AU site, would Dumbledore still have been the one to come up with it? Or would it have been a DMLE thing, like Megs suggested?

Maybe it was always a known use for the Patronus Charm? The article says the Patronus is an ancient spell, so perhaps the messenger function developed early on? Both corporeal and incorporeal Patronuses can carry messages, so perhaps it's become a common method of relaying information? I mean, you'd still have to be able to conjure one and that's supposed to be difficult in and of itself, but maybe it's easer to conjure one to carry a message since it's not urgently needed to defend the witch or wizard casting it?

Tell me what y'all think!

PM
^
megs
 Posted: Dec 5 2017, 09:11 PM
megs
100+
female
Admin
SHIPPER
REQUEST
TRACKER
DEVELOPMENT
Confused
crazy cat lady
Megs

Well, seeing as we've already used it in the St. Mungo's event...it's going to have to be usable by DMLE. As per Natalie's suggestion, I went along with it. //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I don't think this is a problem though.

It can, perhaps, be limited to the DMLE and the future Order. There is a chance that Dumbledore shared it with someone within the department (August) and it trickled down to the likes of Morrigan and Natalie. We can also tweak it? In order to make it less obvious that they are using their patronuses this way, perhaps we can make it canon that until the Order of the Phoenix, the figures of patronuses would evaporate and release the message. A bit like a howler, with more security. Because the purpose of this method is to be able to discretely get messages around. I'm assuming if you don't want to be discrete, there are ways and if you don't want your patronus seen...there are ways?

What do you think?

On the other hand, your second point works as well.
PMEmail
^
jet s-j. mun
 Posted: Dec 6 2017, 12:27 PM
jet s-j. mun
male
muggleborn
SHIPPER
REQUEST
TRACKER
DEVELOPMENT
Pansexual
single
Di
She - GMT - Offline

I've always viewed Patronus messages as the Wizard equivalent of the telephone. They have owls for the postal service which takes a little time to get to the destination, whereas the Patronus' get there pretty darn quick (like a phone call). Obviously it's not as wide spread as the telephone due to the caster needing to be very skilled to cast it in the first place.

Other than that, I really haven't considered it in great detail!
PM
^
natalie e. moore
 Posted: Dec 6 2017, 03:11 PM
natalie e. moore
female
halfblood
SHIPPER
REQUEST
TRACKER
DEVELOPMENT
Heterosexual
single
orli
she/her - central - Offline

Patronus Messages

Yeah I did this research after I mentioned it in that thread XD

So I like the idea of keeping it as a Dumbledore invention, and having it be something that he passed on to someone in the DMLE - August, or his father, or whoever - and now it's become part of Auror training?

Following that, would this means of communication be something only Aurors and future Order members know? Or would it be taught to the entire DMLE? Hit Wizards could benefit from it, but would they know how?

As far as discretion, I think there are other means of communication if you're trying to be discrete. Kinda like Howlers aren't discrete - private matters wouldn't be sent via Howler, because they're loud.

Patronus charms would be cast for speedy communication, I think. Though if you're talking about hiding one's identity, because the form a Patronus takes can give away the person who cast it (Harry's Stag became famous for example), then all you have to do is cast an incorporeal Patronus. Once a person is able to cast a corporeal Patronus, doesn't mean that it's always a perfectly formed critter. The spellcaster just has to concentrate and decide which form they want it to take.

PM
^
megs
 Posted: Dec 7 2017, 11:26 PM
megs
100+
female
Admin
SHIPPER
REQUEST
TRACKER
DEVELOPMENT
Confused
crazy cat lady
Megs

@jet s-j. mun

I think it'd be a bit more restricted/exclusive. I think the floo network serves more as a telephone system, since you don't actually have to use it to travel, but can connect two homes and literally move about your house and shout... xD What do you think?

@natalie e. moore I think it would be exclusive to current aurors/those working alongside Albus/future Order. I don't think it would be taught to other DMLE, simply because I think it's now becoming clear that they need to be careful with who knows what.

And I think discretion is going to need to be a part of this. Because, for instance, if Tom find out that the DMLE knows how to do this and so does Albus, he's going to start trying to figure out who's patronus belongs to whom and what messages they might be carrying.

Perhaps, we could say that carrying a message slightly weakens the form of a patronus anyway and it rarely takes on a full corporeal form?

yay? nay? stfu megs, no one cares?
PMEmail
^
megs
 Posted: Jan 14 2018, 03:55 PM
megs
100+
female
Admin
SHIPPER
REQUEST
TRACKER
DEVELOPMENT
Confused
crazy cat lady
Megs

Resolved.
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates

RPG-D Relashio!
mJrFSW.png Live and Let Die
SKINNED BY Vanessa of SHINE and CAUTION
HIDE CBOX